Tuesday, November 30, 2010

SFO trip for Thanks Giving 2010

Quite honestly, after staying for 3 months in Fremont last year, if I have to go back to SFO it would only be to enjoy night life, bicycling and etc stuff. So when Bhanu and Phani proposed a trip to SFO, I reluctantly accepted it. I sniffed on how it’s going to be? On a discussion, I proposed down town, golden gate bridge, Alcatraz, pier 39, 17 mile drive and Livemore temple as the famous places to visit.
There were couple of hiccups due to snow on Monday, but we took a start on Wednesday morning. So members of our gang are Bhanu, Phani, Sajay, Sowjanya (w/o Bhanu) and Divya (w/o Phani). Our vehicle, white colored Chrysler. If you have seen our gang before, you would only notice us for spontaneous and crazy fun (not much by me and Sajay though).

Day 1:

When we started at 5 AM in the morning on Wednesday, Phani was our pilot. We have 4 drivers on record just to make me comfortable. Bhanu extensively used Facebook check-in feature for IPhone at every road and made people perceive that we are having blast. Our first stop was Portland rest area. It was so damn cold and we couldn’t have our home made breakfast (Idly) comfortably. Sajay took over the driving seat for next couple of hours and we stopped at some unknown (means I don’t remember) rest area. Here I heard some good news, a call from MS that I cleared first few rounds of interview and asked me to be prepared for final round next week. We had lunch here and we started off. Ash ford drive is recognizable drive surrounded by Snow Mountains and curvy roads cleared from snow so soon. It ends Portland and takes us to California. No need to give any special mentions on California roads, they are the best. As soon as we entered California, bright sun was awaiting us and certainly a view for Seattlites. It was at 8:30 we reached Fremont

We checked into Homestead, Fremont. I give it top position from the bottom of all the hotels I have stayed. Roll away bed was listed on the site, but hotel just got 3 roll away beds for so many rooms and they didn’t offer one to us. Some essential stuff was not given too. We had dinner and immediately slept as it was a long day.

Day 2:

I took over the driving seat and we started at 9 AM to SFO down town. Headed to Pier 39 straight, not many sea lions were available for us to watch. We had couple of photo sessions at piers and fisherman’s wharf. Later we visited wax museum. I wish I haven’t seen it. After visiting Madame Tussuads in London, it seemed below average to me. We decided that morning to go to New Delhi restaurant near union square. So, after wax museum we headed to this Indian restaurant and we missed directions for some time after that tiresome first half (of the day). Bummer, restaurant is closed for thanks giving. We took a turn back to have taco at Mexican restaurant, but same there. Subway had no sitting tables. We hopped on to Tian Sing, a chinese restaurant to experience the pathetic service. No one was content with quantity of food or quality of service. Our next visit is to Golden gate bridge, I didn’t find any one enjoying the bridge but I walked on bridge for some time and I bet, it’s the best experience one can have.

I have called my engineering senior friend Sateesh and we fixed on meeting that night for a movie. We all went to Orange movie. Orange is about the age of love and honesty. Honestly, I liked the movie if not the best. It was not the same with others around me. I desperately needed some drinks though we are so tired. I took Sajay and Sateesh to some nearest bowling arena and had drinks. Then we left Sateesh at Sunnyvale and planned to meet him later.

Day 3:

17 mile drive, Monterrey, CA

One of the best drives I have experienced last year. We reached there at around afternoon and had lunch at Anbrosia Indian restaurant. Not a great lunch, but ambience is appreciated. We had fun time at one point and I am little disappointed to say that we neither covered all points nor any one enjoyed the drive. I don’t want to talk about rest of the evening. It was certainly fun.

Day 4:

Downtown and temple:

We visited Livermore temple, one of the best temples I have seen in US and glad that everyone experienced the sacred feeling. I met Sailaja, my friend/partner during some social activities down in India. We maintained a school at Mehdipatnam, Hyderabad in a slum for a year. I have visited her after long time and it was good to see her again. We headed down town to visit Crook Street, china town and etc. More than Crook Street, our struggle to get off the steep uphill road on Lombard will be on memories. It was not an easy drive and we scared the vehicle behind us to hell. Crook street is very good scenic spot (but not worth our drive I feel, it may be easy drive for drivers who are used to such conditions). After a photo session at Crook Street, we visited few shops and thanks me, I didn’t take anything. We played some rummy after reaching hotel.

Day 5:

We headed back to Seattle. Except for couple of traffic jams due to crash, everything was smooth.

1 comment:

Uday said...

nice posts dude... seems u njoyd rides... :-) keep rocking......